Sailboat from the year 1911 - 12,2m length - in Dumfriesshire (United Kingdom)
Agate is an International Eight Metre built to Lloyds specification by Grenier le Marchand in le Havre in 1911 but in the UK since 1922. Built for the Marquis de Cussy, who specified a boat to take heavy weather, she was designed by Gaston Grenier, who later designed the Olympic One Design for the 1924 Paris (Chariots of Fire) Olympics. She had a distinguished early racing career. Honduras Mahogany planking on oak frames. Originally gaff rigged, she was altered to Bermudan rig in 1935, and converted for cruising in 1975. She has forepeak, forecabin, head, saloon, galley, two quarter berths, self-draining cockpit, and lazarette, so a maximum of six berths, but comfortably four. Well maintained and with beautiful lines, her hull structure is possibly in the most original condition of any early First Rule Eight Metre still afloat, with all her original planking, nearly all her original frames, original mast (recently beautifully rebuilt), and original but shortened boom.
Year : 1911
Length: 12.2 m
Location: Dumfriesshire (United Kingdom)
Beam: 2.35 m
Displacement: 5500 Kg
Maximum number of passengers: -
Water capacity: 150 L
Number of engines: 1
Power: 9 HP
Fuel capacity: 40 L
Motor type : Inboard
Fuel type : Diesel
Make of the motor: Volvo MD
Engine usage (hours): -
Radio, Cd player, Plotter, Gps, Wind speed and direction, Autopilot, Depthsounder, Vhf, Compass
Inverter, Shore power inlet
Tender, Mainsail cover, Spinnaker pole, Lazyjacks
Marine head, Heating, Electric bilge pump, Battery charger, Refrigerator, Manual bilge pump
Mast and Spars
Original wooden mast (recently beautifully rebuilt), and fresh but shortened boom.
Standing Rigging replace 2012
Aluminum Spinnaker pole
3-reef main by Owen Sails in 2014
Furling foresail by Owen Sails in 2014
2x Vintage single velocity Genoa winches
2x Vintage single velocity halyard winches one with wire drum.
Battened mainsail, Furling genoa
Volvo 2001 9HP single cylinder engine, offset shaft with 3-blade propeller
1 x Engine and 1x leisure batteries with 220A/h seating,
Built-in intelligent charger charger and 1 KW inverter
Electric demand pumped new and salt water
Double sink with macerator pumped drain
Water heating via stove
Fuel basin 40 litres = c. 60 hours motoring
Flexible water basin 150 litres
She has forepeak, forecompartment, front, bar, galley, two quarter berths, self-draining cockpit, and lazarette, so a maximum of six berths, but comfortably four.
Wallas diesel hob – no gas on board
Waeco Coolfreeze CDF2 12v fridge/freezer
Diesel hot air
Woodwork is veneered Ply + Oak in Galley
Upholstery is Maroon Chenille
Garmin 555 Colour GPS,
Swing bracket for a 10 inch tablet,
Tacktick T033 Wind velocity and direction
NASA Depth sounder
Simrad TP22 Tiller Pilot
Standard Horizon GX-1700E VHF
McMurdo Fastfind 210 PLB
Mooring and Anchoring
Quick Antares 1000W Electric gustlass with wireless remote
Knox super high holding potential mainstay, 100m chain,
Danforth kedge mainstay
8 Fenders and 4 warps
Zodiac 4 Man inflatable dinghy.
Bison Electric outboard and Li-ion charger
Manual and electric bilge pumps with float switch
Seago 4 man life-raft (requires service),
Self inflating Danbuoy
2x Fire extinguishers,
Fire and CO detector
Radio CD player
1 Kw Invertor
Owners Website http://*****.***
Previous names Nag, Sainte Anne II, Gemma
1911 manufactured by A.Grenier le Marchand at le Havre, with yard number 759, sailmaker Mariole. Flush-decked gaff cutter with skylight and deep cockpit. Designed by Gaston Grenier, who later crafted the Olympic One Design for the 1924 Paris Olympics (the Chariots of Fire’ Olympics)
Original name Nag, manufactured for the Marquis de Cussy.
Received Lloyds rating certificate (7.997) at le Havre on 20-7-1911.
1914 name changed to Sainte Anne II, still owned by the Marquis de Cussy (probably when he retired a previous yacht owned by him also named “Sainte Anne”.)
1918 name changed to Gemma, proprietor V. Costantini, le Havre.
1922 proprietor B de Q Quincy, Fort Cottage, Aldeburgh.
1924 proprietors Exors of the late B. de Q. Quincy.
1925 proprietor Mrs G. F, Marshall, ‘Riverscourt’, Brundall, Norwich, kept at Aldeburgh. Sailmaker Sadler, 24, sail area 1109.
1933 proprietors Exors. of the late Mrs G. F, Marshall.
1934 proprietor J. T. E. Woolsey, 64a The Close, Norwich, kept at Lowestoft.
1935 altered from cutter (removed bowsprit and topsail, reduced boom by c. 2m.)
1945+ new compartment top, not current compartment.
1949 sailmaker Jeckells, 48.
1954 petrol motor, 1 cylinder, 4 BHP, Stuart Turner, 53, kept at Great Yarmouth.
1964 altered (1963) to Bermudian rig, then auxiliary yawl, official number 185687, sail maker Gowen 1963.
1967 proprietor Charles D. Pledger, Kedge Cottage, Heybridge Basin, Maldon, home seaport Weybridge Basin.
1971 proprietor Brian Wormald, Costaplente, Mill Lane, Acaster, Malbis, Yorks, home seaport Whitby.
1973 petrol motor 2 cylinder 12 BHP, R.C.A. Dolphine.
1975 proprietor Christopher P. Kitching, The Mill, Great Ayton, Middlesbrough, sail number 1890Y, home seaport Whitby. Converted for cruising with current deck, compartment and self-draining cockpit at Acaster Malbis boatyard near York.
1980 last Lloyds entry. Lloyds began cha
Information from the shipyard catalogue. This data could vary from the data about the boat on sale published by the advertiser,
It is a sailboat, manufactured by the shipyard International in the year 1911 and has a sale price of 25.649€.Advert updated on the 25/06/2022
You can unsubscribe from your alerts whenever you like. By pressing the button you accept the Legal Terms and Conditions